ondragstart="return false" onselectstart="return false"

Tuesday, October 25, 2005

Consumer Therapy (when it's not needed)

J. Barzun
Conscience is nothing more than self-consciousness about morals.

I just underwent some consumer therapy when I really don't need it. Strange, strange, strange... I mean, what do I need consumer therapy for? I've got a job, I'm paying my bills, I don't owe anybody money (or not that I remember), I eat well, I get around, I'm re-establishing connections with my old friends, I still have good relations with my present friends, I'm strengthening my family ties, I just came from the beach, I'll be going back to the beach at the end of November, I'm almost done with my 10 book reading list (I don't know why but that's very important to me), and I get to do things that I love -- zips, dance, write, watching movies, etc. I can't complain. So there was no real need to have gone consumer therapy-ing today, but hell! I am having an okay life so far; why not just up the ante a little bit.

I woke up at 9 am and that's a good sign. Now, if only I can take less than an hour and half to fully wake up, have my breakfast, coffee and cigarette, shower, primp and change, I'd be happy as a clam. But I'm a human, so if it takes me an hour and a half, then an hour and a half it is!

It was early, so I went to Citibank to pay my credit card bill, then off to Shangri-La to buy my Mom the Il Divo album she wanted and got myself 3 new CDs (since it has been a long time since my last) -- KT Tunstall's Eye to the Telescope (fabulous! absolutely fabulous!!!), Fleetwood Mac's Greatest Hits (I'm a huge Fleetwood Mac fan) and the Gold edition of Siousxie and the Banshees. I've heard a couple of Siousxie and the Banshees songs on film soundtracks and I've always liked them so I thought, why not get the best of? I hope I enjoy it. Well, it has Face to Face and Peek-a-Boo so I know it is worth it.

I then went to the MRT to find out that they were not letting anyone in the station. The rain was so strong, I didn't want to take a cab or a bus to the office because the traffic would be unbelievable, so I texted my bosses my current situation and had lunch at Shang. I then walked around and found a really nice jacket at People are People and I've always wanted to buy something from People are People and here was my chance; so I did. Consumer therapy for the happy. Weird.

I had a smoke and then I saw 2 trains moving on the MRT so I went back up to find out that they were still not letting anyone in the MRT. Not enough electricity to run the trains. According to them, the trains I saw were just test runs. So I decided to take a cab.

On the road to GMA, I saw several trains running, filled with people, on both ways. Well, I wonder what happened there? But then again, this whole country is slowly deteriorating. Don't get me wrong, I still love this mass of rock and beaches and over-populated whatever... I still do. But we need to be drastic already, I feel. Be drastic and make some big changes or else it continues.

And I'm too self-centered and self-absorbed to sink with it when it does. After all, I have this cool new jacket I want to wear out one time.

1 Comments:

At 2:06 AM, October 26, 2005, Blogger Unknown said...

wear the jacket na! he he!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home