ondragstart="return false" onselectstart="return false"

Friday, October 14, 2005

there is no one person out there for you

Khaled Hosseni from The Kite Runner
It was Homaira and me against the world. And I'll tell you this... In the end, the world always wins. That's just the way of things.

A friend asked me last weekend if I believed that there is one person out there for us; that if there is one person that we were meant to have. My answer was no. In fact, it was a rather emphatic no with laughter. No, I don't believe that there is one person out there just for you and all you have to do is wait and be ready and open your heart and hope that you find each other. I'm sorry, that idea is so weak, in my opinion.

I even have a scientific proof that that is false. 8 billion people in the world, and, if I'm not mistaken, the ratio of men to women is 1 is to 3, right? Is that correct? Well, even if it's 1 is to 2; the point becomes: h0w can there be one person out there for you when the number of men and women isn't even equal? For that matter, since a lot of men are turning gay, that removes from the equation some more men away from the women. Does that mean, some women are suppose to end up with other women? 8 billion people in the world and the ratio of men and women, gay men and gay women considering, how can there be one person out there for you?

That scientific evidence presupposes that if you believe that there is one person out there for you, that would mean, somebody else is not going to have someone. That would mean, some people were meant to be alone.

Now that's a scary thought. That's the most frightening thought for people who believe that there is someone out there made specially for them.

I can't believe it and if that makes me cynical then so be it.

There's just so much emphasis on relationships and being together with someone. 8 billion people in the world; can you properly grasp that amount? I can't. And if I can't grasp the idea of that many people in the world, how am I suppose to imagine one person out there for me?

I think we make the person who is for us. We meet people in our lives and we give them value. We assign their value in different ways -- they make us smile, they make us laugh, they tell us things we need to know, etc. And from there, we end up meeting people who just makes us feel good about ourselves and who makes us want to be better people and who we want to take care of and be with all our lives. Those are the people we fall in love with. And we make that for ourselves. We choose that. We choose that for ourselves.

And since I believe in change; there are some instances when people grow apart from each other. And then eventually, sometimes, they find someone new. It's just the way it is.

So yeah, I don't think there's one person out there that was meant for you and just for you. There's scientific proof for it.

2 Comments:

At 8:19 PM, October 14, 2005, Blogger Ian Rosales Casocot said...

which is why i always roll my eyes everytime people say "i believe in the one true love." it's amazing how people can believe in so much b.s. oh well.

 
At 9:34 PM, October 14, 2005, Blogger the typesetter said...

Hmm. One person out there for you? Just one? Well, maybe I've missed mine, so that means I could settle for less than The One? What fun.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home