ondragstart="return false" onselectstart="return false"

Wednesday, June 15, 2005

Kinabuhayan Cafe: a look

from Offering by Rowena Torrevillas
Each sharp sprig
Each upward step
Left on the bare
Intermediary ground
Its own act
Of faith.

For all who want to take a look at the awesome wonder of what I experienced last week in Dolores, Quezon, here are the pictures. The pristine beauty of the land still lingers in my mind from time to time. My love for wall-climbing has even begun to extend towards rock-climbing and climbing mountains. I've been touch by a Wanderlust that I've never really felt before. Yes, I've always wanted to travel. To see the wonders of other places, to see the grand design of other cities and to feel the culture but I've never had a wanderlust for nature. It came with the territory of seeing other places but not so much as being the only thing to do. But now, I wouldn't mind. 4 days in a world so primal, so pure, so naked. It sounds great.

For those who want to go to Kinabuhayan Cafe, as there have been questions for their contact numbers, here is their website.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
The huts have no walls here... It is open air and breezy. Sunlight streams in during the day as the wind does. At night, it is the serene sounds of crickets. There is a curfew in Dolores, Quezon so by the time it hits 10pm, no one is out. Everyone is asleep. The silence is peaceful.


Image hosted by Photobucket.com The treehouse. I didn't get to stay here but I did go up. You can request to sleep here at nights, as many foreigners do, so says Jay, the owner.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com The river where you can have lunch. The water is so cold and fresh, perfect to swim in after a long trek around the surrounding fields and forest.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com Fresh water straight from the heart of the mountains. You can drink straight up from the pipes, as I have and it tastes like water. It doesn't taste any different so you have no fear. I have a very fragile stomach and I didn't have any problems with my digestion after so it has to be really, really clean. And it is already cold, no need for ice!

Image hosted by Photobucket.com We went trekking through these parts. Wear shoes when trekking because you might be bitten by the assortment of large insects here and some of the plants have sharp thorns. I carried my cigarette butts in the pockets of my pants. I threw them when we got back to the camp in a plastic bag. Please try your best to conserve nature and keep it the way it is. All this beauty shouldn't be marred by trash.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com A lovely sight. The mountain asleep. I forget which mountain this is. Jay told me but I forgot. These are things we don't see often, and so it elevates my soul somehow. I better go to the next picture. I'm getting corny...

Image hosted by Photobucket.com A lake that Jay showed us. His plans for it are amazing. I can't wait. This lake is much, much larger than it appears. We went up a hill and as we looked out, we were amazed by the size of the lake.

And the last look is not of the place but the fantastic food. Gourmet food prepared by Jay himself. This was our dinner. This is risotto with mushrooms, a fantastic chicken with garlic and chili and an amazing salad. I don't usually like spicy food but this was just amazing. I kept eating and eating. No worries, you can trek up and down the mountain next day if you are the type to worry about your weight...
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

3 Comments:

At 8:55 AM, June 20, 2005, Blogger Promdi said...

hi there. found my way here through one of the links in my blog. just had to write you when i saw your entry re: kinabuhayan. have been planning to go. is it advisable to be there during the rainy season? thanks.

 
At 3:27 PM, June 20, 2005, Blogger wanggo said...

I think it's okay... It might be tough to do the trekking because the trails are going to get muddy. It would probably just be a lot of fun. Since the huts don't have walls, I have no idea if you are going to stay dry in the huts...

Better ask Jay. It was bright and sunny when we were there...

 
At 3:52 PM, September 01, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, I'm Winston, Jay's co-owner of Kinabuhayan Cafe. Rowena, thanks for the great write-up and photos!

We have many guests coming during rainy season. No problem trekking as you're going to get wet anyway in the waterfalls or moutain streams. :)

Note also that it could be storming in Manila, but only drizzling or just cloudy in Dolores, Quezon where we are.

We're on the west side of Mt. Banahaw so the mountain protects us from most of the typhoons that come from the east.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home