ondragstart="return false" onselectstart="return false"

Saturday, August 27, 2005

on art

Mark Twain
Don't go around saying that the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first.

I interviewed two young people today who happen to be amazing artists. I was about to write amazing young artists but then again, the adjective wasn't needed. No matter what age they are, if you've done good work, you've done good work. There should be no distinction whether it was painted by someone who is 18 or if it were written by someone who is 62. It adds to the awe if they are young but it doesn't add to the work. Art is art.

I listen to them and gape in wonder at the amount of energy and passion they have regarding their chosen art form. At such an early age, they know the proper terminologies and it is obvious that they have thought about these things thoroughly. These are not your accidental artists -- those people who don't know exactly what they are doing, they just go out there and do it and it just happens to be moving. No, these artists actually go through an artistic process. They can justify their work and talk about it intelligently.

I have a friend who I used to be very close with. He was a part of my old circle of friends and he had a great eye for photography and design. He would capture the most interesting of photos and he would make miniature sets and models of his room designs and they were very good. I tried to sit down with him and tried to figure out how he came about these amazing photos and these great designs and styles and he couldn't answer me. I just know they work, was his answer, more or less. I wondered that there was no intention in his colour scheme or his angle. He had no explanation to any of it. He just felt that they would look nice that way.

I've always thought art should be a natural thing for one to do. Sometimes you are so moved by a moment you just have to capture it through words or a painting or a photograph and that was that. If it is good, it naturally tends to take a meaning. If it's good, it becomes symbolic of something larger than itself. So I find it funny, all of a sudden, that I want my artists to be more conscious of their art. As much as I just want to write an amusing or entertaining story; the intention has to be present.

Writing this, I think I've processed what it is that bothers me about my friend. I think unconscious of the process is fine; just go there and do it and make art. But I think the end result must be molded through a conscious force from the artist. It has to mean something to the artist before he lets it out. It's okay to go and design a room based on natural biases and preferences but when it's done, take a good look at what you've done and then find out what it means to you and then adjust appropriately.

Talking to the two subjects earlier made me wonder if it was ever obvious that I had artistic inclinations and that I would want to be an artist when I grew up. I recognise a lot of the fire and the passion that burned within them. I recognise it in myself. But I was never that good at that age. Until now, I'm still learning, honing and developing myself. So are they; but they've already accomplished so much...

Ah! Here I go again, comparing myself and starting to feel regret. I promised my friend no regrets. I promised myself not to feel it and let it come. Everything we go through is an experience that we can use. No, I have no regrets.

I am in awe, though. These are the perks of the job. Finding such interesting people, places and events and then looking back at yourself and understanding yourself more. No, there are no regrets.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home