ondragstart="return false" onselectstart="return false"

Monday, August 15, 2005

Why We Tell the Story

from Once on this Island (lyrics by Lynn Ahrens and music by Stephen Flaherty)
You are why (we tell the story)

Last Saturday found me with my officemates who have become my really good friends to RCBC Plaza, to the theatre there where a production of Once on this Island was staged. I have known this musical since it's release in CD form back in 1992. I got a copy of it from a good friend of our parents and I listened to it over and over again, dazzled by the beautiful music and the engaging lyrics. I had danced to this musical in my living room many, many times. Each time, I would re-create the choreography. I had sung every line in the musical. Though I would probably not be able to sing it in its entirety from memory; should I hear it again, I would be able to.

But to see it perform live -- now that is a wonder. I stepped into the lodge section, sat down and marvelled at the stage covered in mats and bamboo curtains hanging all over. As the house lights began to dim and then, in the darkness, a thunder clap and the sounds of rain came, I began to shiver. It has been a long time since I've heard the music of the play because my brother, who owned the CD lost his copy. To know that I was going to see it again made me shiver.

The play began and I was absolutely riveted. I got goosepimples all over and my hair began to stand on end. I was quivering with joy. Every performer was good. It was a very, very talented cast. Ti Moune was played by Raki Vega who was superb. She had a powerful voice and the face of an angel. I was also floored by the performances of Bituin Escalante (who played Asaka), the lady who played Mama Euralie and Bodjie Pascua (who played Tonton Julian). But don't get me wrong, the whole cast was fabulous. After all, Menchu Lauchengco-Yulo (who played Erzulie) is one of my favourite musical stage actresses. I have seen her as Fosca from Passion and the lead role in The Baker's Wife.

I was crying at the beautiful moments, laughing at the funny moments and tapping my foot and singing under my breath in every song. I so love the theatre and it kind of saddens me that the new set of musicals these days don't seem to compare with the works of Stephen Sondheim, Lynn Ahrens and Stephen Flaherty or Kander and Ebb. Gone are the days of Cabaret, Into the Woods, Ragtime and Pippin. I was totally unimpressed with Wicked and annoyed by that musical that is supposed to be a parody of Sesame Street, the name escapes me as of the moment.

But definitely, I was so happy to have seen this production of Once on this Island. Because of work, sometimes, I tend to forget the other parts of me. I don't get to satisfy all my cultural needs. I get so caught up in getting my work done and giving some time for myself to just unwind that I forget that things like plays are just there. I don't care how badly off our economy is, what I spent for that ticket was absolutely worth it.

And more importantly, I am glad I got to watch it with my friends from work whom I could hang out with afterwards and talk about it. That was great as well.

from Once on this Island (lyrics by Lynn Ahrens and music by Stephen Flaherty)
Your heart is young
New dreams are everywhere

Afterwards, we found ourselves at The Fort where we were drinking and just talking. Soon, we had released all that we wanted to say about the musical that we just began to hang out and talk. We were just chilling there, drinking and eating and just enjoying each other's company, trying our best not to talk about work. It was great fun and I enjoyed myself immensely.

I spent quite a lot that night but it was worth every penny. To bond with these people was great and quite surprising. You discover, truly, that people will surprise you. Nobody is what they seem and they all have some story to tell. I love it. It is good to just sit down and listen because there is so much you can learn and it is also nice to sit down and share your stories because when you do, you learn a lot about yourself.

It's funny, sometimes, how you tell your stories. Lucky is the person who tells every one of their personal stories the same way, no matter who they are talking to. I think, most of the time, we tailor fit the story-telling to the people you are with. You ommit certain details and heighten others in regard to the listener. And you discover how you see certain people and how you want yourself to be perceived. It's an interesting process and it really thrills me. I love it.

And that night, so many stories were told. And we were there because we wanted to do something special with our time. In a way, to remember that we have a level of culture and that we cannot afford to miss out on these things because we love them. Once on this Island had such a profound effect on me, both as a musical and as a moment with my friends.

4 Comments:

At 4:11 AM, August 16, 2005, Blogger Tobie said...

Hey Wanggo! Baket wala ako sa links mo?
Waaah...

:-)

Glad youre doing alright buddy.
be well.

 
At 2:29 PM, August 16, 2005, Blogger wanggo said...

Ooops... I forgot... sorry!

 
At 8:57 PM, August 16, 2005, Blogger Zane Ronquillo said...

wang!

i saw it earlier this month with a co-worker too =)

gleng no. i wanna marry bituin. rarr!

 
At 9:36 AM, August 21, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

thanks for watching the musical.

from hendri

 

Post a Comment

<< Home