ondragstart="return false" onselectstart="return false"

Wednesday, August 17, 2005

the coming of good music

Poe from Lemon Meringue (written by Poe, John O'Brien and Matthew Wilder)
Sometimes it tastes so bitter
I got to make it sweeter

Another night where I got no sleep. It's around 6 in the morning and I'm running on food, cigarettes and an almost insatiable need to not fuck up this time round. Once again I produced a segment that my director and production unit manager found wanting more. So I went on overdrive to try and do my best to prove to them that I deserve my place on this show. It really is so hard when I'm completely not the market we are trying to reach with the show. I can't help that I'm a film enthusiast. I like to set up my story, let it draw out and make my audience think; let me find out what's going on through inference. Television today needs you to be more playful, a little spoon-fed, quick and attention grabbing. It's not how I think. At the same time, I understand things faster than most people. I take a lot of information for granted. My director and production unit manager know how to pull back from themselves and figure out what needs explaining for the regular, average joe. I don't seem to have that quality.

Well, it all sounds like some bad justification for not making the cut yet again. But it is the only logical reason I can think of that explains how come I'm not up to par. Either that or I'm not good enough but I refuse to take that as an explanation.

And my team thinks I can do it; they believe in me and in my capacity to do it right this time. I'm all for proving them right.

It's another day without sleep. I think I've pretty much proven that I can live on sheer will power alone.

On the flip side, an officemate has downloaded all the songs of Poe's second album Haunted and it is a superb album! I cannot express how much I am digging this album. It is just so damned good! It is complex and aurally fulfilling. She crosses genres and makes music that is so completely interesting and the lyrics are unbelievably compelling. It is a concept album; sort of a soundtrack to a horror novel her brother wrote but it can also stand alone. The idea for both the book and the album was drawn up when Poe and her brother found tapes their father had made. The album includes some of the recordings of her father's voice and it sort of weaves a story throughout the album. Most of the songs from the album are conversations she is having with her father, things she wanted to tell him and expresses feelings of anguish, grief and loss but then, being such complex and amazing songs, it transcends that. I'm inspired to write an entry of this on my other site Watching Things Burn. I cannot stop myself -- I want to gush some more. It really is such a good album.

And hurrah! Fiona Apple's new album will finally be released. After months (maybe even years) of being in limbo, she finally re-recorded the album with one of my favourite bassists Mike Elizondo on the producer's chair. 9 songs from the original Jon Brion sessions were re-recorded, 2 songs were kept as is and a new song was added and the 12 song Extraordinary Machine is expected to be released on October. I am so happy. I love Fiona Apple and her music. I can't wait for this release. All the songs were leaked on the internet and people were floored by what they heard. I got to hear the track Better Version of Me and I believe it is an amazing song. I can't wait to hear the new version of that song. If anything, Fiona Apple moves me.

Nelly Furtado is also coming out with a new album soon and I can't wait for that. She's working with different producers from her last 2 albums and so there should be some level of evolution in her sound. Folklore was not very far off from Whoa! Nelly but it was definitely a growth in the same direction. This new album, with new producers (and maybe co-writers?) would mean a shift in musicality and I'm all for an artist to spread their wings and try out new things.

Holly Palmer is in the studio and working on new material as well. She's got a 3-piece band and that would be going into a more sparse sound rather than her full blown instrumentation from the 4 songs of hers that I've heard previously. Holly Palmer is a big mystery to me. Her song Just So You Know is etched into my psyche and I want to get her CD before I'm driven mad by it. I can't get it out of my head and so I want to hear more. I don't know enough about her to speak about her music but know enough that Just So You Know has got me sold on her.

Well, I've spoken about Kate Bush in a previous entry but I must reiterate, I can't wait for her next album.

Tanita Tikaram just released a new album and I'm finding ways of getting it. I love her album The Cappuccino Songs and I'm very sure that I would love any of her other songs. I can't wait to get my hands on a copy of Sentimental, her brand new album. I'm sure it would be as subtle and moving as The Cappuccino Songs. She is very consistent singer and songwriter. I know I won't be disappointed.

And of course, Sheryl Crow, Pink, Mandy Moore are all slated for a release of new material this year as well. That's something to be happy about. And then, Aimee Mann released a new album and of course, they aren't selling it here in the Philippines. I got to order for that one. So did Shellie Poole of the now disbanded Alisha's Attic and I'm hoping it is as good as the work she did when she was with her sister in Alisha's Attic. But I'm not going to doubt that. Their three albums were consistently good. Again, I won't be disappointed.

I don't know why I know all these things but I just do. I guess I'm that much a music fan. It's hard to not please me.

Unfortunately for me, Tori Amos, Bjork and Sarah McLachlan (3 of my top 4 singers, Kate Bush being #1) have released an album this year so it will be awhile before I can be expecting anything from them this year. But then again, looking at that list, I'll be spending enough of my money as it is.

And this is not the talk of someone who hasn't slept yet...

8 Comments:

At 3:40 PM, August 17, 2005, Blogger Empress Kaiserin said...

thanks for this info...

 
At 9:04 PM, August 17, 2005, Blogger jaemark said...

hmm, bakit parang puro babae yung pinapakinggan mo? :)

 
At 10:58 PM, August 17, 2005, Blogger wanggo said...

Because I've always been more attracted to the female voice in music. Since I was a kid, I was always enthralled by the sound of a lady singer of any genre.

Why do you think I sing so bad and always out of tune? Because I sing songs that were meant for people who could reach a higher register! Ha Ha Ha

Over 130 CDs and 98% of them are female vocalists... Trust me, it's a trip!

Am skimming through your blog... coolness. Can I link you up?

 
At 11:34 PM, August 17, 2005, Blogger jaemark said...

sure, no problem. i'm in the process of updating my links na rin eh, add din kita :)

 
At 8:06 AM, August 18, 2005, Blogger nikkerbockers said...

If you haven't tripped on Shelby Lynne yet, check her out. I've all her albums. She's pretty cool. Alana Davis is a fave of mine as well. :)

Ditto on Sarah Mac and Tori Amos.

 
At 10:43 PM, August 20, 2005, Blogger ninjato said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 10:44 PM, August 20, 2005, Blogger ninjato said...

Just For Your Info, late as this may seem, they have released the "forgotten arm" by aimee mann locally, and tori amos is releasing several live albums as well if your interested... and yes, I agree Shelby lynne is pretty cool, although Res, lucinda Williams and jessica andrews have pretty good cds as well...and yes the third alisha's attic album was quite interesting, too bad it wasn't released here though...

 
At 1:31 PM, August 22, 2005, Blogger wanggo said...

I just bought The Forgotten Arm on the weekend and it's fabulous! I've been waiting for the Tori Amos live CDs for a while now. Welcome to Sunny Florida, I believe, is the title. But it's not out yet.

I've heard amazing things about Lucinda Williams but never seem to have the nerve to get an album. I end up getting something else. And as good as Shelby Lynne is, it's her feud with Sheryl Crow that gets to me. Call me shallow; but I'm a Sheryl Crow fan. Ha Ha Ha

 

Post a Comment

<< Home