ondragstart="return false" onselectstart="return false"

Friday, February 17, 2006

random musings 02.17.06

Orson Welles
I passionately hate the idea of being with it, I think an artist always has to be out of step with his time.

Two consecutive days, I went and took some time out to check music stores to see what they have to offer. Just as I was about to curse Music One for not having anything new that someone with my musical tastes could sink my teeth into, I found a copy of Tanita Tikaram's The Cappuccino Songs sitting all alone on the little rack, all on its own. I quickly snatched it up. I actually ordered this CD from Tower but it had yet to come so I felt really, really happy about it. I've got 2 Tanita Tikaram CDs now and I'm just waiting for a chance to snag the latest one and then I'll be happy. Based on reviews and stuff, I got the ones that I wanted.

I found myself on O Music and Video in Rockwell and was even more shocked and surprised with the limited choices they had but was pretty happy to have found the last copy of 1 Giant Leap and it was being sold only for 350 bucks! Happy I was to find it.

But strangely enough, it's been 2 months that I've been hunting at record bars everywhere and to my utter surprise find nothing that interests me. Fiona Apple came out with a superb new album late last year and it's still not available here. It was Entertainment Weekly's Best Album of 2005 and is one of Rolling Stones Magazine's Top 10 Albums of 2005. It's not available here! Liz Phair's new album isn't out yet either and neither has Lisa Marie Presley's sophomore release been released. I see no sign of Charlotte Martin's On Your Shore and Tori Amos' live release Welcome to Sunny Florida or something like that. I read in an issue of Press Magazine (when it was still active) a review of Stina Nordenstad's latest release and if it was in Press Magazine, that means Tower and Music One should have it but it's not there. Goldfrapp's 3rd album is no where to be found!

At the same time, Music One put on the stickers of their CDs the inclusion of the 12% E-VAT price which has put regular music to 550 pesos which means that CDs are going to cost so much more! It's going to cost me so much now just to keep up with my collection. I feel so bad! It's a sad day for the music industry. This E-VAT better fix things otherwise, geez, there goes all our luxuries -- art is the one that's going to suffer most in this type of situation.

On a happier note, I went to Rockwell to visit Tals and say "hi" since I haven't seen her since I spent a wonderful New Year's vacation with her and Paulino in Boracay. It was great to see her and it's so wonderful how easy we just get to talking. I'm glad I met her and I'm going to ensure to really build a friendship with her. I think we have a lot of similarities in character and it's great to find someone like that. It's really comforting, that I go through life everyday and once in a while I still manage to find people that I really genuinely like and that I connect with quickly. You really got to keep your eyes and mind open. You got to let people in because if you don't, you'll never find the people you'd want to keep. The one's whose life you'll touch and whose lives will touch you.

(picture of Tals and me in Boracay, January 2, 2006 at Real Coffee [fantastic breakfast place!] taken by Paulino)

1 Comments:

At 11:11 AM, February 19, 2006, Blogger Zane Ronquillo said...

I like it there at Real Coffee. Simple lang.

P550 na? shoot. haven't gone CD shopping in a while. That's a full hundred bucks!

i heard somewhere, though, that there are "suggestions" to decrease employees' withholding taxes to even out the E-Vat effects.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home