ondragstart="return false" onselectstart="return false"

Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Chicksmart and Beth Orton

Beth Orton from Conceived
Some of the time my future comes right around to haunt me
Some of the time my future comes round just to see
That all is as it (should/could) be like it's there to remind me
That we got to (wait and see/let it be)

I've just finished writing the last script of Chicksmart that I'll be doing. After this, no more Chicksmart episodes for me to write. It will be passed off to a different segment producer. I've written over 10 episodes of Chicksmart. I've directed Cathy and Mica into trying to pass on some words of wisdom to all the girls who are watching. It's funny how it's the last one I'm doing. I may be happy that I'm off to do film and that I really want to take a break from television writing. But I had to figure out how to write it at first and then Bam taught me how to direct it. It's great, you know, to have something there that's yours, sort of. That and Stuff, Look and Ligaw, the dating segment I did for TXTube.

I'm going to miss it, I'm sure. It isn't even over yet since I've got 2 more segments to produce and yet I'm already looking back at it and missing it. Missing hearing Binky's comments and suggestions over the script, missing talking to Cathy and Rica during the shoot. *Sigh*


(picture taken at the last Chicksmart shoot, sometime in January; Bel, Binky, Dex, Cathy, me, Pabsy, Howie, Rica and Will)

I'm really so digging Beth Orton's new single Conceived. Right now, it's currently my favourite song and I keep playing it over and over again on Yahoo Launch because it's really just a fun, trippy song. I love her tremolo voice that can express so much emotion and her light, easy melodies that stick in your head. I have her album Daybreaker and The Other Side of Daybreaker and I was lucky enough to find the single She Cries Your Name. Even her vocal contributions with The Chemical Brothers have opened my eyes (or ears) to her abilities as a singer. I can safely say that she's a fantastic artist. And now Conceived is stuck in my head and I think it's a beautiful song. I hope that the next time I go to Tower Records it should be available, just like Liz Phair's new album and Fiona Apple's. Because I'm getting very impatient for new music. And right now, Beth Orton's fantastic new album The Comfort of Strangers is the real thing -- fantastic music from a fantastic singer, songwriter and musician.

(Beth Orton picture taken by Micaela Rossato, taken from Beth Orton's official website without permission)

2 Comments:

At 12:12 AM, February 15, 2006, Blogger ninjato said...

Yep, Beth Orton's album is out in the states already, and hopefully they'll release it here, but honestly am not holding my breathe anymore. I've been quite disappointed since they never released the new Fiona and Liz Phair, even the new Lisa Marie Presley (Although the labels may have to do with this as well). As far as I'm concerned there really isn't any decent music stores out there, Tower is becoming an Odyssey and sometimes Odyssey even has stuff that Tower doesn't! Okay, enough ranting, back to the music-speak, I also have both Beth Orton albums that you speak of and yep, they are indeed pretty good, never saw the single though, would like to get her first album too, which I heard was pretty good as well. Even her cover of Cat Steven's "Wild World" from the OST of "How To Deal" was quite lovely, and actually made me buy the soundtrack. As for the new album, the reviews for this new album have been excellent so am quite excited, to say the least...

 
At 12:41 AM, February 15, 2006, Blogger wanggo said...

Liz Phair and Lisa Marie Presley are both signed under Capitol Records (I think that's under EMI/Universal) so I know who to bother about that... Fiona is under Sony BMG and I'm already itching to text a friend of mine who works there to find out what gives... Beth Orton's album "The Comfort of Strangers" sounds amazing. Heard clips of 4 songs from it and it's chilling, spine-tingling. Can't wait for it. They released "Daybreaker" and "The Other Side of Daybreaker" here so I have hopes. Hell, they released Aimee Mann's "The Forgotten Arm" so that's a good sign, I'm guessing (or is that a fluke!).

It's good to know there are people who appreciate my taste in music here as well... :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home