ondragstart="return false" onselectstart="return false"

Sunday, February 05, 2006

moving me

from Crash (written by Paul Haggis and Robert Moresco)
It's the sense of touch. In any real city, you walk, you know? You brush past people, people bump into you. In L.A., nobody touches you. We're always behind this metal and glass. I think we miss that touch so much, that we crash into each other, just so we can feel something.

I read a comment on my previous post, telling me that my views regarding some aspects of life, specifically that part about doing what you love, is very idealistic and doesn't happen in real life. It said that most people don't get to do that which they love. I feel obliged to respond. Yes, I do believe it is very idealistic but not impossible. I feel that people don't do that which they love only because they let fear take over. The exception that comes are those people who have to support their family -- breadwinners and the eldest children of families who have to put food on the table and pay the bills. Those are unfortunate circumstances and I can understand them. I feel sorry that they have to be in that position. But, there are people out there who don't even give it a shot and are not in that unfortunate circumstance. They do have the capacity to try and they don't. That's the behaviour I can't understand.

Anyway, moving on, I performed today for Planet Zips. At the request of my teacher, Paulino, I and a couple of my classmates -- Djong, Des and Giselle went to the Fort and provided entertainment for a charity event for children with cancer. I was saddened at first, the idea of children having cancer and later on, I was surprised. They were bright and cheerful. They were not sad or depressed at all. I don't know if it was because they didn't understand how dangerous cancer is or if they didn't realise how much was at stake. We began to perform and some people came out to watch and the kids were spellbound with the ribbons flying in the air. Some of the doctors asked us to let them try and the kids got a chance too and they were playing and playing with it. It was a joy to see. I was extremely glad to have been able to do it.

Afterwards, my brother, my dad and I watched Capote and Crash. Philip Seymour Hoffman was fantastic as Truman Capote. He is such an amazing actor and I thought so long ago. I realised he was one of the most amazing actors of my generation. I am just totally and unbelievably amazed at how well he can convey emotion and how amazingly he disappears behind his characters. He is somebody else in every movie I see and there are no traces of himself between movies. He is simply amazing.

And Crash, my God! What a film! It is definitely one of the best movies I've ever seen. It moved me in ways I didn't understand. It made me think and I was in awe of such amazing acting, wonderful scriptwriting and direction. I heard so much good things about it and was scared that all the good things that was said about it would over-hype it that by watching it, it would fail under all that expectation. No. I was wrong. It far surpassed any bar that those praises gave it. It was truly an amazing film and had fantastic acting from its whole cast. This is a movie that everyone should watch.

It is movies like Crash and performances like Philip Seymour Hoffman's from Capote that makes me enjoy living so much. It's seeing the faces of people when I zip and writing something that people feel moved by that makes me enjoy life so much. It's feeling something and being able to make others feel -- it's connection with people, with the world, with everything. I love it. It's good to be alive.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home