ondragstart="return false" onselectstart="return false"

Thursday, July 20, 2006

Rockstar Supernova Week 3

Texting with my Dad
Wanggo: Am okay. Busy. Still trying to learn to say "no." Would be easier if there were some sure things, but then, there's no such thing, right? I'm better, not so bitter anymore. You?

Dad: I'm not bitter, either. I just, one morning ten days ago, decided to be happy. And it worked.

Wanggo: I know! I started reading again, getting involved with the music I listen to, make jokes that aren't bitter or angry. It was great. It's not just a reaction, being happy, it is also a decision, I guess, to accept it when it's there.

Dad: I think so too. Sometimes we just get too filled up with our "sense of destiny" although it's important to have it.

I don't want this blog to become some sort of Rockstar: Supernova blog but I can't help it. The show really moves me and I'm very much involved and attached with the contestants and what happens to Supernova. The show is playing with my dreams and ideals and frustrations of being a rockstar. The show is telling me that if I had the talent and the love for it, I could be a rockstar. Not just the whole struggling artist thing but a real rockstar. For these contestants, their dream can be fulfilled. How can you argue with that?

And I love Guns and Roses and I love Motley Crew and because of the show, I'm really admiring Jason Newsted. He's a fantastic bass player and his comments are always spot-on. He's the man! I can't wait to hear Supernova's first record.

So on to my comments!

Patrice Pike
I like Patrice. She's got a great voice and she really knows how to rock and rock hard. Helter Skelter was rockin' and it was great she was tough about it. She didn't handle the argument with Jill very well but then, Jill doesn't look like the easiest person to talk to. Jill just likes to hear herself talk and I bet if she let Patrice say what she had to say, it would have been clear. But that is not the case. Anyhow Patrice is good except she still doesn't stand out for me. Like I told my brother, she appeals to me as the talented second guitarist who sings back-up. She's Nancy wilson, not Ann Wilson. She isn't big; she isn't a rockstar. She needs to get out there and really own that stage.

Josh Logan
Yeah, so he's got a good voice -- he isn't a rockstar. Like Jay says, he should be in a boyband. Like Datu says, he's lame. He is not the lead singer of Supernova. I'm sorry. He's not. He is a very soulful singer, I'll give him that. But this is going to be a dirty rock band. I don't think he's dirty enough. He should've been the first to go.

Storm Large
I absolutely love this singer! I love this girl. She has fantastic song choices, quirky even -- Pinball Wizard, Surrender by Cheap Trick and then Just What I Needed by The Cars. Great songs but more than that, they are quirky, playful, full of character and she sings them, takes control of them -- they don't control her. She made it work and she made it rock. I love the whole performance attitude she brings -- very Freddie Mercury, very Annie Lennox. I love her.

Jill Gioia
Fine. She did a good job this time round. But I still feel she's a little too trying hard to be a rockstar. Powerful voice, I'll give her that and good control but since I find her attitude a little too trying hard, I feel that it isn't authentic. She's not there for Supernova. But she deserves her spot this week.

Ryan Star
He bores me.

Phil Ritchie
He can sing, he can rock but he doesn't look like a rockstar. His stage presence is weak. He looks like a college kid in a college band and not very convincing. Daniel Johns of Silverchair was 14 when they first came out and though he was just 14, he wasn't a high school kid in a real cool band, he was a rock star already. I disagree with Dave Navarro, Jason Newsted upstaged him completely.

Toby Rand
I love this guy but this was not his best performance. Still has a great vocal, still a great singer but this was a step backwards from his earlier performances. He's still my 1 of 2 choices for the lead vocalist of Supernova.

Lukas Rossi
Once again, he took over and he owned that stage. His rendition of the song was extremely cool and he proved that it isn't about the song choices; not if you are a good singer. He proved taht you can take any song and make it rock. This guy would be in my top 3 if I didn't think he was too intense or taking himself too seriously.

Zayra Alvarez
I didn't have a lot of good thigns to say about Zayra in the past 3 weeks but today, she proved she was a contender. Fantastic arrangement, fantastic vocals, fantastic performance. She nailed it this time. Definitely a wow!

Magni
I am beginning to like this guy a lot. I like his personality in the reality episodes and I am starting to like his performances. He's definitely good and he is a dark horse for winning this race. He has what it takes to really win this competition and if he is just holding back enough to really nail it in the end; I'll be happy to buy the record of Supernova when it comes out.

Dana Andrews
I totally forgot about ther. I knew she was earlier in the show but I don't really care much for her. I hate the song as it is, not a big fan of Bon Jovi, so her singing it made everything so much worse. This is her last performance. She's not a rocker. Not at all. She should take her voice to American Idol. She'll definitely impress Paula.

Jenny Galt
I have to agree with the band, she's too Lilith Fair. That's why I like her so much. I love her voice, I love her arrangements of all the songs she has sung and she's extremely sexy with that guitar. The girl knows how to play that instrument! But she's not Supernova. I hope she stays long enough though to keep singing so that I can keep hearing her work. I love this girl.

Delana
Best performance of anyone in the show yet. This girl is amazing and she just rocks my world. I love her attitude in the reality portions of the show, I love her sensitivity and then, when she gets up on stage, she becomes this performer, this rock-witch that thrills me and excites me and sends shivers down my spine. She is my second of 2 people who I want to front Supernova. I love this girl!

So this is turning out to be a very interesting competition and I can't wait to see it unfold!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home