ondragstart="return false" onselectstart="return false"

Tuesday, May 10, 2005

Gypsy

Alex Parks from Wandering Soul (written by Alex Parks, Gary Clark & Boo Hewerdine)
I'm just a wandering soul waiting for someone to take hold
And I'd choose not to love you I've been here too many times before

For almost close to two months now, I have barely slept at my condo. I probably end up sleeping there every other day or so because I'm usually over-nighting at the office and then, with all the extra jobs I'm handling, I would find myself going home to take a shower, change and then off to the next job. Lately, I've been going without much sleep, stealing naps on couches and on transit because there's just too much to do.

Sometimes, just as I am about to finish work, I'd get a message from my best friend Jaypee asking me if I'm doing anything. If not, he says, go to my place and let's watch DVDs. How can I refuse? Off I go and we watch movies and talk about things and I end up sleeping there, waking up in the morning and then going home to take another shower, change and then off to work again.

Sometimes, mostly during Sundays, I visit my brother and his family and we make a whole day of it and I sometimes end up sleeping there as well in my Dad's room which is usually empty. When he's in town, the more I'd choose to stay there for the night that way I can spend more time with my Dad.

It has come to the point where I bring an extra change of underwear and an extra shirt in my bag. I also bring, at all times, a tooth brush with toothpaste and my anti-perspirant. I never know exactly where I will be sleeping that night. I could've gone home after writing all my scripts but the sky threatens rain and I don't want to get caught in the rain in the middle of getting home. I usually walk from Starmall to my condominium. There's no way I'm going to let myself get drenched. I don't mind, really, but there are things in my bag that cannot afford to get wet.

So I realised awhile back that I can be considered, in some post-modern, contemporary way, as a sort of working gypsy. I never really can call somewhere home. I've become accustommed to being comfortable with any bathroom -- be it the office or some restaurant or someone else's house. I consider home many different places and not just one; my familiarity spans to so many locations. I can sleep practically anywhere and I can feel at home the moment you tell me to feel at home.

I wonder around this city and everything is potentially a place for me to spend my time before I'm once again dragged by circumstance to somewhere else. I've become this boat without an anchor, this kite without its string. I'm not attached to any one place. I'm free to roam. I'm a gypsy, I guess...

1 Comments:

At 5:08 PM, May 10, 2005, Blogger Alina said...

I used to be like that for...wow!about three years! Dividing night between my house, my boyfriend's house and his friends' house just to spend more time with him. It was quite awful when I was also working, doing double shifts or one shift and school or night shifts and school. I remember not feeling at home anywhere, except my Mom's house, but I couldn't go there too often. Thank God, that is so over now!
Oh, and gypsies are probably luckier than you: they never wander alone! :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home