ondragstart="return false" onselectstart="return false"

Friday, May 20, 2005

from lily pad to lily pad

Robert Service
It isn't the mountain ahead that wears you out... it's the grain of sand in your shoe.

With very little sleep, I trod on through the days jumping from one job to the next. I feel like some little frog jumping from lily pad to lily pad and it seems endless but I want to get to the other side of the river, get to the other side of the shore; the other side of the river bank. I could swim, I suppose but there's just so much danger lurking underneath the surface of the water, stuff you can't see. It's dangerous. Sometimes I do swim, some lily pads are farther apart and I can't get there by jumping.

I can exhaust this little analogy till its worn out and incongruent but I don't want to. I don't want to be a little frog in a very huge river. I want to get to the other side, find the princess who is going to kiss me and turn me into the prince that I can be. I'm tired. I'm really tied right now but I know, in the end, this will all be worth it. I'm learning so much and I'm building up an impressive resume and maybe, hopefully, one day, it will all amount to something.

I wonder if that's all that frogs think of? Will I amount to something?

In a way, I had too many starts and stops. I started writing back in high school, writing for the local comic industry. In college, I moved on to writing on an internet website that catered to youth interests. Eventually, I started writing for magazines and newspapers and the like. Non-stop working, writing, ever since I was in high school. Right after college, though, I started working in the academe. I was in the administration, working as a coordinator for the Student Publication's Office and then later, found myself teaching which I loved. But new policies stopped my post-graduate education since I was no longer eligible for a tuition fee discount. Without it, it was easy for them to kick me out when I had this fight with the Department Chair at the time.

From there I moved to advertising but I didn't last for long. I followed with freelance writing -- writing for magazines and getting these writing jobs for PR stuff, ad copy and script writing for live events and the like. It wasn't a particularly good period in my life; I was barely making out fine and I was doing this until I got into television.

Along the way, modeling and acting reared its head but never really took a dominant stand in my life. It was too late, I suppose. And I am too self-conscious, too self-aware to be an effective performer. It would take so much work to get rid of all that self-consciousness and I honestly don't have the time to start from scratch.

I was working so hard in making sure I would be nothing like my father; that I would excel in a field away from his. Writing may be close to film but there was still some distance. At the time, I wanted to be a writer of books, novels, poems and the like. Had I known that I would end up wanting to direct films just like my Dad, I would have started earlier. A lot of people I work with are younger than I and have been in the business longer. A lot of people I work with took up Mass Communications or Film and have an actual academic background and some technical knowledge in what we do. I have none, learning everything as I go along since my major was Literature and Creative Writing.

I'm not saying that I'm winging it or anything like that; I do know a lot of theory but it is all self-taught, self-studied. I continue to train myself now but if only I had known that this is where I'd end up, I wouldn't have bothered trying so hard to be different, to stay away from the world that I felt belonged to my Father; and for a time, my brother Datu who had plans of becoming a director.

But no regrets. That would be such a big mistake now and it will only hold me back. I'm good in other things and see the whole industry and the process in a different way and I think that's good. If anything, I have a great hold of narrative structure and that makes me different. More than anything, I'm a story-teller more than I am a film-maker. There is a big difference there. That might make me different, give me some level of originality. I hope it measures up in the long run.

Bounce-bounce, hop-hop; I'm a little frog jumping from one pad to the next, took the long route to where I am finally going to end up. There's no real sense in going back now, not when I've been through so much.

I don't know why I ended up talking about these things. I had no plans for this entry and decided to go into it freestyle. And I ended up writing some sort of resume and talking about what it is that I hope to be eventually good at; to what I want my life to mean.

And what is it that is at the other side of the river? I want to be a conduit for art -- let it flow through me, filter through me and find expression with the medium that I am good at. It will be stories -- whether in a book or a film or, hopefully, music. I want art to be my contribution to this world.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home