ondragstart="return false" onselectstart="return false"

Friday, March 10, 2006

getting busy

Mark Twain (on Eve, the 1st woman, mother and wife)
She made a paradise of Earth and made a home of Paradise.

Busy, busy, busy. So much work to do and I'm just going everywhere these days. Flying off to Bacolod tomorrow and tonight, we've got the premiere of Puso 3 where the short film I wrote and directed by my Father Lost and Found will be in. It's the first story.

I want to go to the beach, though. I miss it terribly but all this work is good for me, you know? And hopefully, it will all amount to something later on.

I finished the draft script of a live event I'm writing for yesterday and then my father and I watched 2 DVDs. We watched Mirrormask and Nanny McPhee. Mirrormask was beautiful to watch and sort of interesting in concepts but it failed in execution somehow. The pacing was so off -- it dragged in certain parts taking too much notice of the individual dialogue and the design of the world than it did with the story. So the film didn't flow naturally -- it would stop and start and stop again so it could "feature" the dialogue or the effects. It wasn't at all like Labyrinth or The Dark Crystal where the story would be moving constantly forward and things would come out along with it. It's beautiful and some of the effects were lovely but as a whole, in totality, it didn't work out as a film. It was too slow. Funny too, since Neil Gaiman is a wonderful story-teller but I never felt the rush or the intensity, not like American Gods or The Kindly Ones or Neverwhere.

Nanny McPhee was delightful and fun but there were moments that it sort of was pulled down by the Hollywood feel of it all. The colors were too bright, Mrs. Quickly should've been played by Miranda Richardson and the full animation of the donkey was just too much. They could've downplayed it more and brought up the mysticism and the magickal feel of it all. Emma Thompson's script was lovely, though and her Nanny McPhee itself was daring and bold. Good for her.

So it's back to meetings and writing for me while I prepare for the premiere tomorrow and leaving for Bacolod for the weekend. I can do without the rush but I'm pretty much happy and content.

(Pictures taken in March 1, 2006 on one of my more pleasant meetings -- first pic is Ben, Miguel and myself while I'm explaining my draft. Second pic is Ben, Miguel, myself, Ayeen and Brian laughing over some joke or something during the meeting.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home