ondragstart="return false" onselectstart="return false"

Sunday, April 02, 2006

Tiesto, old friends and a bazaar filled with kids

Jean Reno from the UPS ad
You must never stop climbing.

I was extremely bothered Friday night because our celebrity zipper who got us a gig at Tiesto was quite difficult to work with. It would have been great to have just gone in, do our thing and then go. But no, there was so much hullabaloo over nothing. Absolutely nothing. She is a rather tiring and exhausting woman and she didn't do anything for my mood that night. So, twice, I went up beside Tiesto and zipped my heart's content beside the best DJ in the world for 3 consecutive years. He was amazing. He kept bringing the music up and up and you keep thinking this is where it peaks and he'll bring it down, but you're wrong, he just brings it higher. It was amazing.

Afterwards, I went to sleep at a friend's house in Makati. Actually, he's an old friend, a very close friend and in a way, this sleep over became more of a return to old ways -- but of course, different. We are both different people now and we've both grown and we are ready and wanting to get back to the days of before. I met a lot of his new friends and had a grand, grand time. One of the best I've had in years.

I slept in his condo in Makati because the following day, early, I had to be at the Manila Polo club for a bazaar. With most of the Planetzips guys at the Levi's Freedom to Move sports camp, they needed someone to stay at the bazaar with Karen, superfriend of Planetzips. I was free and later on, Paolo Soler joined me. It was really hot and I was lacking sleep so I just ended up sitting on the chair waiting for more people when Paolo decided that it was now or never and began zipping. That's when the kids began to flock to our booth. I then taught the kids one move to do and see if they could be qualified for a raffle ticket to win a pair of free zips.

Later on, one lady was waiting for her dad who was talking to Paolo, who he recognized as a surfer, so I asked the young girl if she wanted to learn more moves. She said "yes." So I started teaching her some basic moves and her younger sister comes along and begins trying it out too. Then later on, more and more children start coming along and we end up running out of training zips. So Paolo arrives to take away some of the kids from me, making my job easier. From 2pm to 6pm, Paolo and I had about 4-6 kids each, teaching them moves, while a couple of more children stood nearby, waiting for a turn or hoping their parents will get them one.

It was exhausting, but you know what? I was having a blast! I was proud of myself for having been able to break down the moves and teach it to a young kid. I was happy to see the kids so happy getting the move and then trying it out again and again. Some kids were naturals while others didn't get the principle of it. Some kids were just too young and couldn't focus, while others were very eager and tried very hard.

I didn't think I had it in me, really, to teach, to teach children and to enjoy teaching children. One particularly eager and well coordinated child, Jean-Luca (I think that's how you spell his name) had learned about 8 moves within that period. He was particularly easy to teach and a joy to instruct because he wanted to learn it so badly and he really tried.

At one point, I excused myself to get some water since I was parched, and as I found myself quickly hurrying back, I saw the Manila Polo club field 4 children zipping in front of Paolo while he was zipping as well and the 4 children who were waiting for me to come back, zipping out and trying to get the move. Coloured ribbons flying all over the air in different speeds and height and the joy of so many kids and their parents -- what a way to spend your Saturday, huh? And here I am, thinking I'm this big monster who hates children.

I'm actually so excited because the bazaar is on-going until today and I'm off now to teach more moves to the kids of yesterday and to teach to the new kids arriving today.

4 Comments:

At 8:37 PM, April 02, 2006, Blogger Jayce Cortez Jacinto said...

If I knew you were performing at Tiesto, I would have gone.Alas, I decided to shut myself out from it all and just work.
Oh well.
Female celebrity zipper? I just hope it's not that woman who's had several guestings on TV (the one who's had several incarnations...as a beer model...and as a cursed frog...)

 
At 1:05 PM, April 03, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wanggo!!! Am I right in stating that in one brief moment of your colorful life, you enjoyed being with children?!?



What's wrong dude? Anything I can do to help? =)

 
At 5:01 PM, April 03, 2006, Blogger bernadette said...

is that you wangs... ;-)

 
At 12:51 PM, April 04, 2006, Blogger travelkage said...

we are looking at a changed man... a wanggo that enjoys the presence of tiny human beings. :) either that or it was the heat that drove you to it.

for real though, sorry i couldnt be with you at polo that weekend. sounds like you and pao did a really good job!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home