ondragstart="return false" onselectstart="return false"

Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Cutting Off the Last 2 Years

Mark Twain
The proper office of a friend is to side with you when you are in the wrong. Nearly anybody will side with you when you are in the right.

Got my haircut today. I wish I still had my old phone so I could've taken a picture of my new haircut which I totally love. My friends helped arrange a haircut with Geoff Simpson, probably one of the best hair stylists in the country. My friends Len and Che insisted I do a Patrick Dempsey haircut from Grey's Anatomy, our shared obsession and I conceded. BAM! Geoff did a coup and it looks fabulous and I'm extremely happy with it.

There's something to be said about not having all that weight around my head or the pressure of having to pony-tail my hair back tightly. I love this feeling of being so free, to run my hands through my hair and it doesn't take more than a second to do so. There's something to be said about seeing my face and not having to constantly brush my hair out of the way. I never realised how hassle free having short hair was (or is it 'is?'). Actually, it's not that short -- it's long enough to play with and style and do stuff with it. It's just not long enough to be a hazard.

No more pony-tails, no more head bands, no more caps or bonnets. Sweet.

I thought it would be tough to let go of 2 years of hard-work. Growing my hair was an amazing feat of willpower on my part. There was the awful awkward period where people were telling me constantly how bad I looked. Everyday I wanted to have it cut but restrained myself. Then when it was a certain length, I started receiving much compliments for it. They said it gave me character. Then it reached a point where it was just too long and I had to do something about it. But that was 2 years of growing my hair! Could I just cut it all off, just like that?

I did. And I'm happy about it. Jay said something awhile ago. It was meant to be a joke but it meant something to me. He smiled as Geoff began cutting and he said, that's 2 years of your life your cutting away, Wangs. I don't know how happy that statement made me. Yes, I did enjoy the 2 years I spent with NMI and the friends I've met there. In those 2 years, I had the unbelievable fortune to become close friends with people like Berna, who means the world to me. I was able to give all of myself to a company and to a product that I believed in. But those 2 years also was a period in my life I can't seem to bring myself to let go. I want to move on from it. I've changed again. I've hit rock bottom and I'm moving up and if that means the hair that it took me 2 years to cut has to go, then it has to go. I always make symbols up from what's going on around me to help force myself to accept the need to change.

So I'm going to change and accept it. Submit to it. And I'm going to enjoy this new hair style for until it grows again...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home