ondragstart="return false" onselectstart="return false"

Friday, May 05, 2006

The City

Woody Allen
I don't want to achieve immortality through my work. I want to achieve it through not dying.

I took a trip to Antipolo and on Sumulong highway, I looked out of the jeep and saw the immense city laid prostrate in front of me. It's skyrise and concrete facade is both daunting and attractive. I know what goes on in there. I know what it is like in there. But looking at it from the outside, I'm amazed by how inviting it can appear -- how with its tall edifices and concrete and metal structures, it promises wealth and work and wonder.

But I'm not so easily fooled. It was in 1992 (or was it 1993?), as the plane landed in the runway at Hong Kong, I feebly (I was sick then) looked out the window to see the even more immense towers of Hong Kong. The grid lines of the streets promised order and structure and efficiency. I was taken aback by the appearance of this Asian city. I was told to expect one large commercial, shopping district, for that was what my family and I were set to do that 5 day vacation and it hit me in that manner. Yes, there will be shopping done that week. You could see it in the appearance of the city.

In 1998, my family and I arrived at the airport near Rome and took a speeding coaster that was traveling at over 70 miles per hour. We didn't feel the speed. The roads were flawless. Later, we were greeted by huge freeways and as we reached the city, we were struck by the old exterior structures that were kept, and later, awe-struck at the contemporary and modern appearance of these structures within. As you travel around the city, you see buildings, though not as high as say, Hong Kong (I don't remember much sky scrapers in my Rome trip) but every once in a while, you have the view of a very old and ancient sculpture situated in front of a long avenue. Huge churches with their crosses in display, towering over every citizen and tourist, like a hawk watching over your every move. The grand coliseum that could fit thousands and thousands to watch gladiatorial combat and the immensity of St. Peter's Basilica. Unlike Hong Kong or Manila, this was a city made of stone. It may not sound as impressive as metal, steel and concrete but when you think of its history, how old these stone structures are and what they've seen and been through; the whole idea of the great events that have transpired here, that this is one of the seats of civilization, one we always term as classical, the very thought of it makes me weak in the knees. There is power in Rome.

In Florence, 8 days later after our arrival in Rome, the city was smaller and more artistic than it was powerful. It was more subdued rather than awe-inspiring. It was a gentle respite from the magnitude of the idea of Rome. But my brothers Jubal, Bing and I climbed over 400 steps up to the tower of the Duomo and witnessed, with bated breath, the beauty of Florence's elegance. While I did not feel the same way I did with Manila, there was no promise of work or wealth, I did feel the inviting presence of something wonderful, of something beautiful. It's appeal came more in the form of finding something small and pretty and magnificent. That was Florence's appeal to me.

2 years ago, I arrived in the airport of Shanghai in the evening, unable to see the splendour of the city. But we drove in and, much like Rome, we were impressed by the wide streets, freeways that seem to stretch for miles and were even wider than the roads. The roads were almost 6 to 8 lanes. South Super Highway only manages 3 or 4 at the most, I think. When we arrived at Shanghai itself, it was unbelievable. The sky scrapers literally scratched out the sky. The streets were still huge coming into the city. Gardens, parks were littered all over to give the city breathing spaces between such structures. There is the Bund, the old part of Shanghai that was left untouched as the city began to progress. The parts of the city that did progress and develop and improve were testimonies of the greatness of human perserverance. Tall buildings with amazing lighting structures. The streets were in proper grids, allowing smooth flowing traffic. Yet it still had the quaint charms of a huge district of bargain goods in stalls -- a market of anything and everything. Then there are temples with monks holding prayer sessions and hundreds and hundreds of different kinds of Buddhas. I'd have to find my memorabilia, but we even went to the fortress where royalty stayed when they visited Shanghai. A sprawling walled palace with gardens and beautifully kept and preserved structures of ancient China. I was awed, I was spell-bound. Where did we stay? We stayed in the Hyatt Shanghai, the highest hotel in the world. My room was on the 77th floor. Every morning I awoke to see the expanse of Shanghai before me. The river, the Bund, the city lay vulnerable to my gaze. I was so high up, if I could open the windows to my room, I would actually know what clouds felt and tasted and smelled like. Manila promises a level of wealth and wonder, as every city does, Hong Kong is consumerism, Rome is power and history and magnificence as Florence promises wonder, elegance and beauty. Shanghai promised me progress and development and awe.

I wish I had the pictures to show. Maybe I'll return to each city and take pictures and show you what I mean.

I am a city boy, through and through. As much as I love the beach and find myself at peace and joy in such places -- it is a city where I truly thrive and flourish. This is where I live, this is what I call my home. I am not the idyllic writer, taking pleasure in the surroundings of nature. I'm one of the many inhabitants of the concrete jungle. It's stories amaze me, fascinate me, entrance me. I want to know more. I want to visit them all.

1 Comments:

At 2:41 PM, May 06, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That old Woody, he is funny. Enjoyed your city tales, Wangs.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home