ondragstart="return false" onselectstart="return false"

Thursday, August 03, 2006

The Explorer Conquered

Ivy from Edge of the Ocean
We can begin again
Shed our skin and let the sun shine in
At the edge of the ocean
We can start over again

I can't believe I'm in Melbourne! I'm just so thrilled. Astrud, the executive producer of my show, looked at me and said you're smile is so big! Then, half a day later, she looked at me and said, it's still there! It's still so big! I'm just so amazed to be here.

I'm loving the city and it's only been a day. I love the whole mixture of the old and the new, built side-by-side, inspiring the other into this amazing city. The roads are huge and the traffic system works. As you walk along the streets, the trams come by and you can see people on their way to whatever. But what I like about it is that it is also a walking city. I'm walking everywhere here and I'm so happy.

It is cold, though. It's freezing! It hit 7 degrees Celsius last night but I'm happy despite it. It adds to the experience, being here in the tail end of winter. Everyone is so dressed up and I'm actually wearing gloves and a scarf! Never would have to in the Philippines, but here, I just fit right in.

I've made friends with Rain, the lady at the Philippine consul who is assigned to assist us. She's a Filipina who's lived all over the world and has taken to Melbourne for her studies. She's been here for a year now and she loves it and she is in love with the look on my face. She's so proud to see how much the city she has called home has amazed, entranced and beguiled me.

I'm just so happy to be here. It's a little expensive so I'd have to properly plan if ever I'm to go back; but I want to. I want to live here for at least 2 years. Ha Ha Ha Wasn't I saying the same thing about Shanghai? Ha Ha Ha I'm such a nut but what can I say? I felt like the explorer who was conquered by the land he came to see. It's just so modern and new here, but also, very cultural and it has its own history and its own charm and identity.

I can see myself here, suffering from the cold, studying, taking my Master's and working here. I can see myself walking towards the beach, which is just walking distance from the city, or taking the Tram or drinking coffee in one of the many street cafes.

They have such a strong artistic spirit here and a love for reading and they really value education here. I feel this from the many people I've been talking to and from all my explorations of yesterday.

I can't wait to show pictures!

3 Comments:

At 9:26 AM, August 03, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow Wangs! It just shows that you will always adapt to wherever you are. I'm glad for you... Hope you're well.

 
At 10:49 AM, August 03, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have fun, love!

 
At 11:26 AM, August 07, 2006, Blogger Jennie said...

I'm just disappointed that we weren't able to catch up. Oh well, maybe next time... :)

Glad you had fun though.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home